About Us

Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church is a historic Parish in the heart of Nassau County.  Our A-framed Tudor structure leads visitors to think of us as a small quiet country church in another land.  They are not wrong…

In 1925, The Episcopal Church of the Advent in Westbury purchased six lots of land on Rushmore Avenue across from the public school, and the Vestry appointed a Chapel Committee.

St. Mary’s Episcopal Church was built in 1926.  On a trip to England, the Reverend Richard Duffield Pope [first rector of the Episcopal Church of the Advent] had seen a little country church of great charm and he brought back a photograph to serve as a model and design for the new missionary chapel in Carle Place.

On June 9, 1926, the Chapel committee authorized the rector and clerk to enter into a contract for the construction of the Chapel.  On December 19, 1926, just six months later, construction was far enough advanced so that the Chapel was able to hold its first service of Holy Communion which was conducted by Fr. Pope.

To this date, it remains the only Protestant Church in Carle Place.

The Church has served as an independent parish since March 19, 1952.

During more than seven decades, the building has served as a meeting place for various organizations from within the small community of Carle Place.  Scouting groups, senior citizens, health improvement groups, quilting societies and other community groups have also used St. Mary’s for their meetings.

The only alteration to the original structure occurred in 1949[c] when safety regulations mandated that the Vestry install another method of emergency egress from the Undercroft.

St. Mary’s Episcopal Church is on the National Register of Historic  Places.